Friday, August 23, 2013

Top 5 Films of All Time!

Warning: I will be overusing gifs....this entire year. 

Asking someone, especially students studying film, what their favorite movie of all time is will almost always never get a direct response. "How can I choose one?" "There are so many masterpieces." yada yada. In reality, I'd say the same thing too, but since I'm pressed for points, I can come up with at least 5 movies that I can always watch and watch and never get bored of.

Be aware that this list is in no particular order.



The very first movie that popped in my head was Back to the Future. Some people don't exactly enjoy the trilogy and regard the first movie as a classic. I'm not one of those people. I agree that they aren't as well polished, nor do they have such a new and exciting concept as the first, I love every single movie in the trilogy. I really hope Hollywood doesn't go ahead and decide to reboot it. If it does, one of the things that needs to remain is the charm of the movie. Today, everyone is going after the Nolan grittiness. Every movie doesn't need to be dark people...The original film has a certain nostalgia factor that still hits you even if you weren't living in the 80s or the 50s. I simply adore the 1950s time period. I'll watch any movie taking place in the 50s if it has that nostalgia attached to it. While not everyone can recall going back in time, we can all relate to the stories from the moral implications during the pursuit of sciences to bullies to forbidden love. Plus it has a simple heart filled message: "If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything." The best part about the movie is that it still stands today. Marty Mcfly has defined pop culture and for that reason the movie is still relevant today.
It's still cool to have a delorean and rock those future nikes from Back to the Future 2









Kick-Ass is a fairly recent movie. (HEY, recent movies can be good too. Those old directors can't always dwell on the past. There is a whole new generation growing up with movies like this rather than Citizen Kane). This is one of those instances where I believe that the movie improves on the original comic book. I head this from a certain youtuber (Comicbookgirl19) and I'd agree completely. Here we go again, this movie is different from the hundreds of other superhero movies coming out today because it is colorful in terms of story as well as visuals. Comic books are supposed to be full of color (well Batman doesn't count or Punisher or some more but you get the point). Even though it's colorful and seems cheerful at first glance, does that mean this movie isn't realistic? NO. This is the most realistic superhero movie I've ever seen. It seriously looks at what would happen if a normal guy went out and tried to be a superhero. Well, he'd get his "ass kicked" right? (get it? I'm sorry). In fact, the lovable character of Dave, AKA Kick-Ass, is quickly beaten and left for death. With instances like this, this movie explores the dark side of the normal person. Would you just stand and watch someone being mugged or would you do actually get in there and stop it. Most likely than not, we wouldn't do anything. Still, Kick-Ass DOES something which is admirably about the character. He gets beat up over and over again and he realizes he's way out of league, but that doesn't stop him from fighting for the good of society. The action scenes in the movie are crazy good and even Nick Cage brings his A-game.



 You know what, there is a reason everyone is trying to bank off of the success of the Dark Knight trilogy. Christopher Nolan is a genius and his vision of the rebooted Batman has made Batman cool again. No longer is Batman given silly weapons and sidekicks. This movie is looked from the perceptive of what Batman would be like if he existed in the real world (okay given that Nolan's world in Batman isn't EXACTLY the same as ours). Not only is this a great superhero movie, it is a tremendous political drama. The best thing going for this film in my opinion, Heath Ledger's depiction of the Joker. Again, just like Batman, the Joker isn't a silly joke any longer. He has upgraded to a psychotic monster who just want "to watch the world burn." Although Batman Begins isn't the best demo reel for Nolan's action scenes, he improves on cinematography in the Dark Knight as well as with the script. This film is arguably one of the most quoted films of all time. Also, you admire Nolan's decision to use film instead of digital to shoot a superhero film. That is simply non-existent today.





I'm basically a sucker for heart-felt movies. By that I don't really mean romantic comedies (although some can be really good), I mean movies that leave an emotional impact on me long after I'm done watching them. If that movie can include both comedy and serious moments with an interesting story, I'm all in. This is why The Truman Show is one of my all-time favorite movies. I saw it for the first time on Netflix when I had nothing else to watch, but this movie just stuck with me. It takes a look at the issue of privacy as well as the idea of one's control of own destiny. Truman lives in a world that he believes to be real, but every single person is his life is an actor. Every single life decision in his life has made for him. He has a "seemingly perfect life," but it makes you wonder "Do I really want a perfect life like this?" This might possibly be Jim Carrey's best movie.  His performance is brilliant. There is a tragic undertone to the film. Truman can have anything we wants in his life, except the he really can't. All he wants is the love of his life; he just wants a REAL emotional connection because he begins to pick up on everyone being a phony. It's incredibly interesting to see Truman's desperation to discover the truth and he is constantly just being denied and manipulated, and you can't help but feel for the guy.




Even considering that I haven't many of the greatest films ever made, it was still tough coming up with this list, but for my final selection I'll say Forest Gump is among the best movies I've seen. Again, this is one of those movies that I never skip if it is playing on TV. I find movies like this, that tell fictional life stories, very interesting. This include movies like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Shawshank Redemption. I'm not double dipping here. I'm admitting that Forest Gump is my top choice among those films. The most interesting aspect of the film is the main character, Forest. He is likable, caring, honest, and just good human being. As it spans generations, the film covers a multitude of issues on American such as race, bullies, war, and so on. However, the theme of love remains constant throughout the film. I guess the best way I can describe it is by saying the film has heart. Forest Gump is a story of an underdog. We love the underdog. That's why we keep cheering for him and even learn to appreciate his naivete. Because of this it is amazing to see him succeed in the way he does. Not only that, I really do appreciate the amount of complex visual effects they filmmakers used to further the storytelling. They even went as far as to use real footage from Birth of Nation ( click here to learn more about that) and integration Forest's great grandfather. If I start talking about Tom Hank's brilliant performance, I won't stop talking so I'll end it here.
 

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with that statement of that movies don't need to be old to be the greatest of all time. Also The Dark Knight was an amazing movie, it totally changed my view of the Joker, and had many memorable and powerful lines. Also awesome use of .gifs

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st. Dude prabhjot.
    2nd. I agree that nostalgia is very important in films. I rather enjoy my cheesy 80's fantasy nostalgia. Especially the 50's! I will watch any film that takes place in the 1950's, and for me I'lll watch films taht take place in the 1980's. So BTTF is like heaven for me.
    3rd. I agree very much that films don't have to be old to be "the best films of all time". Sure, you can watch them , be appreciative, and understand the influence that they had on not only subsequent films but what impacts they had on society, but just because they are "classics", nostalgia of a old generation,does not make them the best films of all time in my opinion. I think film is too intricate to be relegated to a numbering system. But, it is very entertaining to read. I'm not sure Id agree that kick ass or the Nolanverse Trilogy are the BEST films of all time, but if theyre your favorites, in your mind, they are the best films. Power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st of all, love the gifs. Also , I strongly agree with your overall theme that new and different is good, especially if it improves or references other works, time periods, etc. One complaint though. Picking two trilogies, possibly three (more kick-ass) DOESN'T COUNT AS DOING 5 MOVIES. However, your post is still longer than mine, so...there is that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I just didn't finish my blog post so I only did 3. BUT,it's done now and you read about my last 2 favorite movies if you want.

      Delete
  4. Damn Prabh you chose some pretty legendary films. Definitely some really good choices. Although I do not really think that Kick Ass is all that great of a movie. LOL Back to the Future is definitely one of my favorites and it made me forgot to put that on my top five. I can tell that you are really into Nostalgic films. You should check out the movie This is England. It's a really good movie and I think you would defnitely like it. Goodjob bro.

    ReplyDelete